Arugula, beans, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, kale, lettuce, onions, peppers (hot & sweet), potatoes, radishes, scallions, Swiss chard, sugar snap peas, tomatoes (Jersey reds, heirloom and cherry), watermelon, winter squash, zucchini, and a variety of herbs including basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage, mint, chives and cilantro.
POPLAR WOOD FARM CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)
Stay Posted for 2016 CSA APPLICATION
Community Supported Agriculture
What is SCA?
Poplar Wood Farm’s CSA program is our way of bringing our locally grown produce to communities seeking food grown using organic practices. During the growing season, June through November (24 weeks), members in our program are entitled to a weekly ‘share’ containing an assortment of fresh seasonal vegetables with the option to add eggs and/or flowers if you choose. Members pickup their share during the designated time at the farm or at one of the farmers’ markets we attend. CSA is a mutually beneficial arrangement between farmer and consumer.
Benefits to consumer:
• · Receive fresh, local produce every week that is grown using organic practices and become a part of the farm’s local food community by committing to eating locally all season long
• · Develop a relationship with our farm and staff and learn about how your food is grown
• · Exposure to unique varieties of your favorite vegetables along with some new vegetables you may not have otherwise tried Benefits to farmer:
• · Receiving commitments from members in advance allows better crop planning and provides resources to purchase seeds and other supplies early in the growing season
• · During the growing season, we can focus on producing high quality food rather than marketing it
ORGANIC PRACTICES, LOCALLY GROWN
Our organic growing methods rely on the use of cover cropping, compost, beneficial insects, and other environmentally conscious ways of growing our crops. We are firm believers in the value of healthy food and make no concessions when it comes to our growing methods. We use no chemical or synthetic pesticides or fertilizers and no GMO seed. Since our produce won’t travel long distances, it will maintain its fresh picked flavor and nutrition.
WHAT’S IN A SHARE?
Every week we will survey our fields and select a variety of vegetables which will be harvested and packed into your individual share to be picked up at the location of your choice. Each week you’ll receive a newsletter tailored to that week’s share. The newsletter is full of recipes for unusual items and new ideas for old standbys. We’ll also give you info on how to store and prepare your food and a little background on its origins. Examples from previous seasons are pictured below - this is the regular share option.
Items we plan on growing this season for our shareholders include: arugula, beans, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, kale, lettuce, onions, peppers (hot & sweet), potatoes, radishes, scallions, Swiss chard, sugar snap peas, tomatoes (Jersey reds, heirloom and cherry), watermelon, winter squash, zucchini, and a variety of herbs including basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage, mint, chives and cilantro.
Pick up your CSA share at the GARDEN STREET FARMERS MARKET every saturday 9am-2pm SPRING.SUMMER.FALL at 14TH & Garden Street, Hoboken, NJ 07030
· Regular share - Suggested for a vegetarian or a small family eating a vegetable supplemented diet· Large share - Approximately double the quantity of vegetables as the regular share, the large share is suggested for a larger family
eating a vegetable supplemented diet, a small family eating a vegetable based diet, or two vegetarians
With the purchase of a vegetable share, we offer the option to add an egg share and/or a flower share.
· Egg share - includes a dozen eggs every week from our free range chickens which are fed organic feed.
· Flower share - offers you a way to treat your- self every week to the beauty of a bouquet of fresh flowers from our fields. Flowers we will be growing include: Oriental Lilies, Zinnias, Hydrangeas, Peonies, Calla Lilies, Tuberoses, Cockscombs, Dahlias and Sunflowers.
WHY OUR CSA?
Variety - Receive approximately 50 different vegetables throughout the season including some unique varietiesQuality - Our produce is harvested specifically for you and won’t travel far so you can count on fresh, healthy vegetables
Value - More produce than if you purchased your vegetables at retail prices. Sign up by Jan. 1, 2015 and receive a loyalty card for 10% off all additional purchases at our stand for 2015, beginning the week the first shares are distributed.
Options - Tailor your vegetable share size and add-ons to your needs Impact viability of local agriculture - Each member becomes a part of the farm’s local food community by committing to eating locally all season long
Convenience - Pick up at our farm or the farmers’ market in your Hoboken or Jersey City neighborhood. The CSA is not for everyone, that’s why we have a market stand. If you don’t like trying new things or you are frequently traveling for weeks at a time, you might be happier visiting our stand and picking out what you know you’ll use.